Sunday, October 22, 2006

suasana hari raya

Burnt fingers, hardened melted chocs, double layers and funny stories: That pretty much sums up my one and only kuih-making experience for this year.

Hehehe...I really miss my old place...

I used to have time to do all the funny things people do whenever Eid comes along...including:

1. House decorating and erm, in my family of wannabe-decorators, everyone's gotta have a say...and it used to get a little insane...

2. Cookie-making: Ok, let me make it crystal clear right now - I DO NOT ENJOY BUTTER. The smell alone makes me wanna puke. So, cookie-making used to be a stomach-churning experience for me...Kuih Tat is by far, the worst...gua tak leh angkat beb...

3. Mad, frantic rush for clothes: Frankly, I'm a lot simpler than sibs...Just throw on any baju kurung used to be fine plus Mummy used to do the getting of clothes. Now, I got to do it myself and the yah...shoots...

4. Baju kena burnt: In my family, for years, it has been a tradition for someone to burn a hole in their baju raya almost every year...I don't even know whether to be proud of it or not? Please, this tradition's got to end...

Guess, there should be many other things lah but anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that, you know, it really doesn't matter? I guess it's kinda fun to do the things we do but to get it confused with religion is a whole other thing...Simplicity should always be the key, shouldn't it?

This is real stupid but we waste a heck of a lot during "festive" occasions when there is actually absolutely NO NEED for it. It's just all very silly. I think the best Hari Raya would be for my whole family to just get together and hang out as we used to do...The things we used to do were fun, not because we had to do it for Eid but because, we did it together, as a family. And I miss that. I just miss my family.

I miss the whole ketupat making thing when all the kids and Dad used to make ketupats...and the older ladies used to fill them up with the rice...The whole lighting up thing would be a family affair...I miss the craziness of getting a cab coz we could never fit into just one cab...I really miss my family...

I hope this raya will bring us closer - closer to each other and closer to Allah. I have a promise made to myself and I'm willing myself to stick to it. I don't know if I will but I will try to. Insya Allah.

No comments: